|Supporting The Derryfield School |
The Derryfield School thrives thanks to the generous support of parents, faculty, staff, alumni and friends who embrace the School’s mission. All gifts to Derryfield promote the mission “to inspire bright, motivated young people to be their best and provides them with the skills and experiences needed to be values, dynamic, confident and purposeful members of any community.”
Like all independent schools, Derryfield relies on a combination of tuition revenue and philanthropy to secure the present through annual gifts for operating expenses, as well as ensuring the future through gifts that support capital improvements and the endowment.
The Annual Fund
- This fund is the foundation of Derryfield’s fundraising efforts. Participation to this fund at any level demonstrates a commitment to prepare our students and help them find their passion.
- Funds raised through this fund continue to capture and retain exceptional faculty who are inspiring knowledge and learning in the classroom, on the stage and in the studio, on the fields and courts and in local and global communities.
- Make charitable gifts now or after your lifetime while enjoying benefits for yourself. Unlike cash donations, these gifts require some planning and typically come from assets in your estate. Planned gifts can help you realize tax advantages while at the same time contribute to Derryfield’s future financial sustainability. Visit our Planned Giving page for more detail.
- Gifts in memory of a loved one can be made to any number of designated areas, including endowment fund. Naming gifts are welcome in accordance with the School’s gift acceptance policy established by the Board of Trustees. For additional information please contact Denise McAdoo, Director of Advancement at 603-669-4524 X 3271.
Your philanthropic support is essential to the work of Derryfield students, staff and faculty across the campus.
Thank you for caring about Derryfield. Your support is deeply appreciated.
To learn more about the impact you make each and every day, please visit the website www.derryfield.org
and read the new stories as they unfold each week focusing on all the fabulous things that you make possible through your gifts.
Derryfield's Annual Fund FAQ
|Q. ||Why does Derryfield need an Annual Fund?|
Contributions to the Annual Fund are vital because they support the daily life of the School, funding 4.8% of our operating budget. Annual Fund gifts support:
- exceptional academic programs taught by extraordinary faculty;
- professional development for our incredibly talented faculty;
- 32 athletic offerings;
- a host of performing and fine arts opportunities;
- global and community service activities;
- student government initiatives.
|Q. ||Doesn't tuition cover the cost of a student's education?|
|A. ||Like other independent schools, tuition does not cover the total annual cost of a student's Derryfield experience. Derryfield's Annual Fund supports what you value the most about a Derryfield education. High academic standards, individual attention, a diverse community of learners, and excellent facilities are expensive to maintain. Derryfield relies on tax-deductible contributions each and every year to bridge the difference between tuition and the total cost of a Derryfield education.|
|Q. ||Who is asked to participate in the Annual Fund?|
|A. ||Early in the school year each fall we ask members of the Board of Trustees, faculty and staff, current parents, alumni, alumni parents, grandparents, corporations, foundations, and friends to support the Annual Fund.|
|Q. ||How much should I give?|
|A. ||Gifts to the Annual Fund range from $5 to $25,000. We are hopeful that everyone will make a tax-deductible contribution to the Annual Fund that best represents their ability to give.|
|Q. ||What do you mean, "tax-deductible"?|
|A. ||Gifts to non-profit educational institutions like The Derryfield School qualify as charitable contributions and can be deducted if you itemize your taxes.|
|Q. ||Can I make my contribution on a credit card or with appreciated securities?|
|A. ||You may transfer appreciated securities to Derryfield or pay with a credit card. You may find more information on the ways of giving page under "how to make a gift."|
Please know that each and every gift is important and received with gratitude.
Thank you for your consideration,
Advancement Office Coordinator
Gail oversees the database management for the Advancement Office. This entails maintaining biographical information, processing all gifts made to the School, tracking appeals, events, and any other information that is useful to the office. She prepares acknowledgements for all gifts received, reconciles gift entry, produces a multitude of financial reports, and maintains donor files. She largely provides general support for all aspects of the Advancement program. Gail came to Derryfield in 2003 after working for twenty-six years in the Alumni/Development Office at St. Paul’s School.
Director of Alumni Development
Alice Handwerk serves as Derryfield's Director of Advancement and oversees the School's comprehensive giving programs including The Annual Fund, capital, major, and planned giving. She sits on the Advancement and Governance Committees of the Board of Trustees. Alice came to Derryfield in July 2003. Prior to her tenure at Derryfield, Alice worked at Sheridan School in Washington, DC where she was in the development office for six years, four as director. She began her development career at The League of Women Voters and also worked in the development office at The George Washington University.